Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Open Door Policy...

The door to my dorm room is heavy. It's easier to just keep the door shut. Less noise gets through, I can do whatever I want, and nobody will bother me. It doesn't stay open by itself and not all door stops keep it open. But you miss out on so much when you leave your door shut. You don't meet anybody and there is no air flow so it gets stiflingly hot and you can't use the expensive, new duvet you bought for your bed. The key is to find the right door stop. Once you find a good door stop it's way easier to keep the door open.

Ok, please tell me someone caught on to my bitchin' door metaphor?... anybody?... Bueller? No? Ok, let's get more literal:

Truth be told, college hasn't been an instant hit for me. I didn't instantly find a group of friends nor did I get involved with anything. College is hard. Not just the workload, but the actual concept of college is hard. All of a sudden I was living in this new building full of people I didn't know. I didn't know where to go for lunch or how to print out my Sociology homework. Everything was new and different and that feeling was rather disconcerting. It would be much easier to sit in my room and watch Netflix (which is something I have done often) than to go out into the hall and chat with the people who had their doors open. But when has anything truly good in life ever come easy? I'm paying too much to live at this school to just sit in my room with the door shut; I can do that at home for free. If you're going to feel like crap it might as well be because of something you did instead of something you didn't do. So I made a decision. I decided to do one thing each day that I wasn't 100% sure that I wanted to do. It doesn't matter how small the decision, just as long as it was something. Sometimes it's as small as leaving my (literal) door open for a few hours. One decision was to sign up for sorority recruitment. I spent four days smiling constantly and answering the same four questions over and over again. I was a nervous wreck through the entire process, but I don't regret doing it. I've met more people in the past two weeks than I met in my entire two years at SFCC. The increase in Instagram followers alone is reason enough to join. Another decision was to sign up for some volunteer work on campus. If I'm going to be here I might as well get my money's worth.

 I fully believe that you get back as much as you put in. I was sitting in my room with the door shut waiting for the college experience to come to me, but life doesn't work that way for most people; it certainly never has for me. It has taken some adjustment and I'm sure it won't be all smooth sailing from here but each bump along the way makes me stronger and I'm not alone in this adventure. I'm excited for college. I'm excited to find out who my Big is on Friday and I'm excited to be an AOII. I'm excited for college and I'm excited to be an Eagle.

No comments :

Post a Comment